If you’re not licensed as an architect in California or any other US state, you can achieve this by attaining the academic and experience requirements. The California Architects Board examines a tripartite set of qualifications: academic credentials, experience and completion of the architect Registration Exam. Architects licensed in a different state should apply for licensure by mutual reciprocity. Architectural students educated abroad have to satisfy several pre-requisites to practice as licensed practitioners in California. Aspiring candidates should familiarize themselves with the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards as correspondence with the entity is mandatory for establishing and maintaining their records online.

Education Requisites

In order to qualify as a licensed architect in California you must first undertake a Bachelor of Architecture or its equivalent like a Master of Architecture or Doctor of Architecture. Afterwards, to gain eligibility for Architect Registration Examination (ARE) in California, you’re enjoined to complete five years of approved education credits by the California Architect Board. Eight years aggregate from an accredited institution and work experience are required for the California Supplemental Examination (CSE) and final licensure.

Evaluating Foreign Credentials

If you’ve a foreign degree in architectural studies and experience, the state of California can give up to four years of credit. Similarly, extra credit can be attained from degrees or course units that are correlated with architecture. The National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB) allows applicants to conduct their foreign degree evaluation through the Education Evaluation Services for Architects (EESA). A duly filled out EESA application should include documents: National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) Form, certified transcripts for all course units as well as corresponding translations, and certified degree or diploma certificate. Foreign documents must be translated into English and must emanate from an official entity like a Translation Company. The credential evaluation should reveal if your academic qualifications match a US degree (Bachelor of Architecture) or a post-graduate degree (Masters or technical studies). This will further determine the credit years required before you get eligibility to take the ARE, CSE and licensure.

Intern Development Program

The next phase is participation in the Intern Development Program (IDP) supervised by the NCARB. To meet the IDP requisites you’ve to earn 3,740 qualifying training hours and 1,860 optional experience hours-this translates to roughly two to three years. Foreign-earned architectural experience can fill up some of the IDP practicum requirements. The maximum credit you can accumulate is 1,860 architecture experience hours if you’ve been under the supervision of a licensed non-US and-Canadian architect. During this stage, establish your online record and coordinate with the NCARB through the Electronic Experience Verification Reporting (e-EVR) system.

Pass Relevant Exams

The penultimate stage prior to licensure is completing relevant testing. Apply for the Architect Registration Exam administered by the NCARB but eligibility is confirmed by the California Registration Board. Your eligibility will be valid whenever you’re active during the examination period while you can pass or fail a minimum of single division of the exam within five years. An oral examination known as the California Supplemental Examination stretching up to 1.5 hours is also required.

Applying For Licensure

Once you’ve passed the ARE and CSE, you’ll receive a licensure application forms from the California Architects Board (CAB). Fill out the forms and route them to the CAB and the prescribed licensing fee. In practice, CAB dispatches licenses three weeks following the reception of the application.